Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sell your unwanted CD's and DVD's for cash!

Because we recently put all our music on our computer to use with our iPod, we no longer had a need for the CD's we had, not to mention they were taking up space and we could use the extra cash. 

I found out Newbury Comics will buy your unwanted CD's and DVD's.  I called to ask how much they normally pay, and they said anywhere between $0.25 - $5 each.  A huge range I know, but I'm sure it depends on a few different factors...condition, demand, etc.  I hadn't had much luck selling CD's or DVD's on Craigslist, and don't get much for them at yard sales either.  We had roughly 500 total, so I figured even if they give me $0.50 each, that's $250 in my pocket!

Although they normally make you stand there while they check each one individually and tell you how much they can offer, I called and let them know I had a large quantity and they made and exception and allwed me to drop them off.  The next day we got a call from them.  They said there were a few (roughly 100) they could not take.  However, they averaged $1 per CD or DVD...so I went back to the store to pick up my check for $400!  Overall, I think it was better for me to hear a lump sum rather than what each one was worth (I might not have been able to let them go that way).  Let me tell you - that money came in handy...so much better than a bunch of CD's collecting dust.

Got tips on how to make a little cash?  Let me know so we can share!  I'm especially interested in finding a place that buys books (not for store credit) - do you know of any?  PLEASE let me know.  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I know that Pitchfork Records in Concord also buys CD's. I've never brought mine in because like you, I think I would have a hard time finding out how much they wanted to offer me for each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Marcia! I'm glad you decided to share with our audience. Like I said in the post, I may not have parted with the CDs/DVDs if I knew how much they would offer for each individual one...after all, we spent WAY more on those CDs and DVDs when we bought them. Unfortunately, they are not worth that much anymore, (you can especially see that when you can hardly get 50 cents each at a yard sale). With technology constantly changing...Blue-Ray and who knows what else is coming, we figure CDs and DVDs will soon be a thing of the past. Might as well get rid of them now (and same some cash while you're at it).

    ReplyDelete