Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Creative Homemade Cheap and Inexpensive Halloween Costumes

If you're like me, you don't want to spend a ton of money for a costume you or your child will wear for only 1 night.  My sewing capabilities are also very limited.  I went on the web to search for creative costumes that could be made with regular household items.  Take a look, there's still time to put these together!

Boombox

Although this isn't me, I did make a boom box out of a cardboard box and some paper plates one year.  It was "cool" at the time, now it would be just "retro" or something.  Still a neat idea and not something you see everyday.

 
 Bunch of Grapes

Ah yes, a bunch of grapes.  I did this one year.  Pretty easy if you already have purple (or green) pants and turtleneck.  Fun costume, but you can't sit down.  Fine for trick-or-treating, though.

 Old Lady Who Live in a Shoe Had So Many Children, She Didn't Know What to Do

This isn't me, either, but I did borrow a similar costume from my aunt one year to a company I worked for when they told us to dress for Halloween.  It's a surprise my husband married me even after having seen me in something so weird.

 Robot

Rubik's Cube

I never did the robot or Rubik's Cube, but they both seem time consuming but fairly easy to put together with cardboard and some dryer hose or colored paper.  Cool ideas, although I would use different color paper on the Rubik's Cube.


Thomas the Train His Friends

If you have several kids that want to dress as a group, you could use cardboard boxes to make Thomas the Train and all his friends.  They would look really cool if they did trick-or-treating walking in a line.

 Little Old Lady

 Gnome

OK -  these are just adorable for teeny-tiny kids.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the old lady (is that offensive?) and the gnome is just something I really have never seen together.  Crazy that they can wear regular clothes for the most part and just add a couple of accessories and you recognize what it is right away.

It's Raining Cats and Dogs!

Talk about creative with everyday items - awesome for something so simple.

Hot Air Balloon

This probably took some time, but it is such a neat idea, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share it. Start with a cardboard box and some balloons and go from there.

 Dice

Popcorn and a Movie

Got a couple kids that want to pair up?  These are so cute!  Well, the Dice could be a die, and I may switch out the VHS tape for a DVD, since no one knows what VHS is anymore, but these are awesome ideas for kids (or adults) in pairs, which starts with a cardboard box.

Outlet and Plug

What a great adult couple costume - so innocent, yet so provocative.  This is boring and fun all is one!

Feel free to share any cool ideas you have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment