Thursday, May 26, 2011

Food for Thought...

So I recently found out that Shaw's doubles coupons...correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are the only store in our area that doubles coupons.  At first I thought, "Wow!  What a great find!"  After all, I watch "Extreme Couponing" and most of those people get the deals they get because their store doubles coupons.

Then it occurred to me.  I do my groceries at Market Basket because they are the least expensive store around.  Then I played a scenario in my head:

I have a buy 3 and get 60 cents off coupon
I buy 3 at Market Basket for 99 cents each and use my coupon OR
I buy 3 at Shaw's for $1.29 each and use my 60 cent coupon that doubles...

Market Basket final price:  $2.37
Shaw's final price:  $2.67

Since their prices are generally higher, it's not worth going to Shaw's...unless they're having a GREAT sale.

...even then, MOST of my coupons are $1 off something.  They will only double coupons up to 99 cents.  So for the couple of coupons that double, is it worth driving across the river and out of my way instead of just going down the street?  No.  The savings would not make it up to me.

What about shopping for items that have double coupons at Shaw's and get the rest at Market Basket?  I have 2 kids and to cart them around to a million different stores is DEFINATELY NOT worth it.

What are your thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment