Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Free or Inexpensive Massage and Hair Treatments

If you're like me, you don't have a ton of money to throw around for luxuries like massages and hair treatments.  I rarely go for a massage, and I cut and color my own hair at home.  I enlist my mother-in-law to perm it, though.  I don't dare do that on my own!  Nothing beats free, (or $12 for the at-home perm kit instead of $80+ at a salon), but once in a while you need something done professionally - either because you need to be pampered, or because you need a fresh start.

My recommendation is to contact a massage or beauty school, depending on the services you are looking for.  Many times they have students who need "practice hours" in order to graduate, and they need people to practice on.  Usually these services are "free" because they are not licensed yet, but you will want to tip them for a job well done. 

Sure, you may be thinking "I don't want someone working on me who doesn't know what they are doing".  But think about this:  most of their schooling is behind them, and the reason why they are practicing on real people is because they are almost ready to graduate.  Not to mention, they haven't lost any of their knowledge yet, since they are still learning.  Besides, they are "free" so what have you got to lose?

You might luck out like I did and find someone who is excellent.  Unfortunately, Meg has since graduated and is charging full price for services now.  Since she is a former co-worked and friend (and I do think she does a great job) I tend to stick with her, but my budget doesn't allow for regular visits.  

If you have other suggestions and know of a great place to go, please share in the comments!  If you are on a tight budget like I am, you might want to consider this option for free - almost free - massages and hair treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment